Unicorn Pearl™ Formulae
“Unicorn” in ancient China was a symbol of fertility. “Pearl” is a name for “formula” in the same way as Pill (wan or dan, e.g. Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan). However, the term “pearl” also refers to the preciousness of the formula as it stimulates fertility. This formula tonifies Kidney-Yang specifically for infertility.
Tu Si Zi Semen Cuscutae
Xu Duan Radix Dipsaci
Wu Wei Zi Fructus Schisandrae
Ren Shen Radix Ginseng
Dang Gui Radix Angelicae sinensis
Ba Ji Tian Radix Morindae officinalis
Du Zhong Cortex Eucommiae
Bai Zhu Rhizoma Atractylodis macrocephalae
Gou Qi Zi Fructus Lycii
Shu Di Huang Radix Rehmanniae preparata
Huang Jing Rhizoma polygonati sibirici
Fu Ling Sclerotium Poriae albae
Xiang Fu Rhizoma Cyperi
Yi Mu Cao Herba Leonuri
Zhi Gan Cao Radix Glycyrrhizae preparata
Kidney-Yang deficiency, Essence deficiency.
Tonify and warm Kidney-Yang, nourish the Essence, strengthen the Governing, Directing and Penetrating vessels.
Tongue: Pale, wet.
Pulse: Deep, weak.
Yu Lin Zhu
Differences from Classical Antecedent
Balancing tonification of Yang with two Kidney-Yin tonics.
This formula is for Kidney-Yang and Kidney-Essence deficiency. Although the Kidney-Essence is fluid in nature and, as such, part of Yin, it does have a Yang and a Yin aspect. In fact, its Yang aspect is prenatal and comes into being at conception with the formation of the Minister Fire.
The Minister Fire represents the Yang aspect of the Essence and nourishes the foetus during gestation. After birth, the Yin aspect of the Essence also starts to come into being because the Essence is replenished by the postnatal Essence produced by the Stomach and Spleen. However, the Yin aspect of the Essence does not mature fully until puberty, when the Heavenly Gui arrives: the Heavenly Gui is the crystallisation of the Yin aspect of the Essence through the warming action of its Yang aspect, i.e. the Minister Fire.
Unicorn Pearl™ is primarily for Essence deficiency in its Yang aspect. The emphasis of this formula is therefore, not on tonifying Kidney-Yang, but on nourishing the Yang aspect of the Essence.
- Ren Shen tonifies the Original Qi
- Bai Zhu tonifies Qi and the postnatal Essence
- Dang Gui and Shu Di Huang nourish Blood
- Zhi Gan Cao harmonizes
- Tu Si Zi, Du Zhong, Xu Duan and Ba Ji Tian tonify Kidney-Yang and nourish the Essence
- Xiang Fu is added to move Qi and Yi Mu Cao to invigorate Blood
- Gou Qi Zi and Huang Jing have been added to nourish Kidney-Yin and the Essence. They were added to strengthen the Yin aspect of the Essence so that the formula would not over tonify its Yang aspect. The Yin and Yang aspects of the Essence (and of the Kidneys) are like the oil (=Yin) and the flame (=Yang) of an oil lamp: if we over tonify the flame (=Yang) this will only consume oil and thus Yin. Therefore we need to nourish Yin whenever we tonify Yang (of the Essence)
- Fu Ling resolves Dampness to counteract the cloying nature of the Yin tonics
This product is a dietary (food) supplement, to be taken as directed by a qualified practitioner. It is not intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease. Not to replace a varied diet. Not to be taken if nursing or if pregnant. Not to be consumed continuously for longer than 3 months.