Clear Metal™ Formulae
“Metal” here refers to Metal in the context of the 5 Elements and therefore the Lungs. This formula clears Heat in the Lungs following an invasion of Wind-Heat.
Da Qing Ye Folium Isatidis
Huang Qin Radix Scutellariae
Lian Qiao Fructus Forsythiae
Ban Lan Gen Radix Isatidis
Dan Zhu Ye Herba Lophateri
Zhi Mu Rhizoma Anemarrhenae
Jin Yin Hua Flos Lonicerae
Yu Xing Cao Herba Houttuniae
Sheng Di Huang Radix Rehmanniae recens
Huang Lian Rhizoma Coptidis
Chuan Bei Mu Bulbus Frittilariae cirrhosae
Bai He Bulbus Lilii
Mao Dong Qing Radix Ilicis Pubescentis
Mu Dan Pi Cortex Moutan
Invasion of Wind-Heat progressing rapidly into the Interior, with Lung and Stomach-Heat. Location of Heat at the Qi and Ying level.
Release the Exterior, expel Wind-Heat, clear Lung-Heat at Qi Level, clear Ying, benefit fluids.
Tongue: Red with thick-sticky yellow coating (Qi Level) or red without coating (Ying/Blood level).
Pulse: Slippery-Rapid-Full-Overflowing (Qi Level); Floating-Empty or Fine and Rapid (Ying/Blood Level).
This formula is for the sequelae of an external invasion of Wind. From the point of view of the 4 Levels, in the beginning stages of an external invasion of Wind, the pathogenic factor is at the Wei Level. If the Wind is not expelled, it penetrates into the Interior and it turns into Heat. As the pathogenic factor disrupts the function of the Stomach and Spleen, it often gives rise to Phlegm which then combines with Heat: this is the Qi Level. At the Qi Level, the tongue is red and has a thick-sticky yellow or brown coating.
Most people will recover at the Qi Level. If not, the Heat penetrates to a deeper level and it injures Yin: this is the 3rd or 4th level, i.e. Ying Level or Blood Level. At the Ying or Blood Level, the tongue is deep red and has no coating.
- Huang Qin and Huang Lian resolve Dampness and clear Heat; from the point of view of modern research, they have an anti-bacterial and anti-viral action
- Jin Yin Hua, Lian Qiao, Da Qing Ye, Mao Dong Qing and Ban Lan Gen expel Toxic-Heat and have an anti-viral action
- Zhu Ye, Yu Xing Cao and Zhi Mu clear Lung-Heat
- Chuan Bei Mu resolves Phlegm and restores the descending of Lung-Qi
- Sheng Di Huang and Bai He nourish fluids to protect from injury from Heat
- Mu Dan Pi clears Heat and cools Blood (Blood Level)