Central Mansion™ Formulae
“Central” refers to the centre of the body, i.e. the Middle Burner (or “Central Burner”) and therefore the Stomach and Spleen. “Mansion” refers to the Stomach and Spleen being the source of Post-Natal Qi and Blood. This formula a variation of Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (Ginseng-Poria-Atractylodes Powder) to tonify the Stomach and Spleen.
Yi Yi Ren Semen Coicis
Shan Yao Rhizoma Dioscoreae oppositae
Fu Ling Sclerotium Poriae albae
Yu Zhu Rhizoma Polygonati odorati
Ren Shen Radix Ginseng
Bai Zhu Rhizoma Atractylodis macrocephalae
Lian Zi Semen Nelumbinis
Tai Zi Shen Radix Pseudostellariae
Bai Bian Dou Semen Dolichoris lablab
Xi Yang Shen Radix Panacis quinquefolii
Zhi Gan Cao Radix Glycyrrhizae preparata
Sha Ren Fructus Amomi villosi
Jie Geng Radix Platycodi
Spleen and Stomach-Qi deficiency, Stomach and Spleen-Yin deficiency, Dampness in the Middle Burner, Lung-Qi deficiency.
Tonify Stomach and Spleen-Qi, nourish Stomach and Spleen-Yin, resolve Dampness, tonify Lung-Qi.
Tongue: Pale, slightly swollen, a sticky but rather thin coating, slightly rootless coating, coating too thin in the centre, central Stomach crack, scattered Stomach cracks, transversal Spleen cracks.
Pulse: Weak in general, slightly slippery; it may be Floating-Empty on the right middle position.
Shen Ling Bai Zhu San
Differences from Classical Antecedent
More pronounced Yin-nourishing action.
This formula, a very important Stomach and Spleen tonic, is a variation of Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (Ginseng-Poria-Atractylodes Powder). Its action has some similarities to that of Prosperous Earth™, which is a variation of Liu Jun Zi Tang (Six Gentlemen Decoction), but it is more complex and wide- ranging. First of all, it tonifies Stomach and Spleen-Qi and resolves Dampness and, as such, it has a very wide application. However, it also tonifies Stomach- and Spleen-Yin and it is therefore suitable to address the beginning stages of Stomach- and Spleen-Yin deficiency.
- This formula incorporates the formula Si Jun Zi Tang (Four Gentlemen Decoction): Ren Shen, Bai Zhu, Fu Ling and Zhi Gan Cao which tonifies Stomach- and Spleen-Qi
- Sha Ren and Yi Yi Ren resolve Dampness; the former fragrantly resolves Dampness through sweating, and the latter drains Dampness through urination
- Sha Ren also harmonizes the ascending and descending of Qi in the Middle Burner
- Shan Yao tonifies both Stomach-Qi and Stomach-Yin
- Lian Zi tonifies the Stomach and Spleen
- Bian Dou tonifies Spleen-Qi and Spleen-Yin
- Jie Geng directs the formula to the Upper Burner and the Lungs which makes the formula suitable to tonify Lung-Qi and resolve Phlegm
- The function of Jie Geng in this formula is often compared to that of an oar, taking the boat, i.e. the formula, to the Upper Burner
- Tai Zi Shen was added to strengthen the Stomach-Yin nourishing effect
- Yu Zhu was added to nourish Stomach-Yin and clear any Empty-Heat that there might be
- Xi Yang Shen was added because it nourishes both Qi and Yin of the Stomach, Spleen and Lungs
It is useful to compare and contrast this formula with Soothe the Centre™, a variation of Xiang Sha Liu Jun Zi Tang (Aucklandia-Amomum Six Gentlemen Decoction) and Jade Spring™, a variation of Sha Shen Mai Dong Tang (Glehnia-Ophiopogon Decoction):
Soothe the Centre™ and Central Mansion™ both tonify Stomach- and Spleen-Qi and resolve Dampness; the main difference is that Central Mansion also nourishes Stomach- and Spleen-Yin. However, the latter is indicated only for slight conditions of Stomach and Spleen-Yin deficiency and in particular when they are associated with Qi deficiency: if the deficiency of Stomach- and Spleen-Yin is pronounced, Jade Spring™ is more appropriate.
A further difference between Soothe the Centre™ and Central Mansion™ is that the former also addresses stagnation of Qi in the Middle Burner, which Central Mansion™™ does not.
Another crucial difference is that Central Mansion™ is suitable for persons who are constitutionally more deficient in the Middle Burner; in other words, although both formulae address Stomach and Spleen deficiency, a person with a relatively strong Bright Yang (Yang Ming) constitution will develop the type of patterns envisaged by Soothe the Centre™ (Six Gentlemen Decoction), while a person with a weaker Bright Yang constitution will develop the type of patterns envisaged by Central Mansion™ (Ginseng-Poria-Atractylodes Powder).
This formula is for long-standing Stomach and Spleen deficiency. The Earth element is the Centre for the other four Elements and gives us grounding and, literally and metaphorically, a centre. A person with deficiency of the Earth Element as addressed by this formula, will feel ungrounded and without a centre.
This product is a dietary (food) supplement, as prescribed by a qualified practitioner. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, prevent or cure any disease. Do not take if nursing or pregnant. Not intended to replace a varied diet. Not to be consumed for longer 3 months on a continued basis.