Classic Chinese Formulae
The following are classical Chinese formulae with the corresponding Three Treasures® formula.
The formulae can be classified into the following categories:
Read More »
- Nourishing (for Empty conditions)
- Nourishing and Clearing (for combinations of a Full and Empty condition)
- Clearing (for Full conditions with pathogenic factors)
- Calming the Mind
- Releasing the Exterior
Within each category, each formula addresses the disharmony of a specific “Organ” (figuratively speaking). However, the innovative aspect of the Three Treasures® formulae is that, rather than being generic formula, each one addresses a specific, clinically common, pattern within a particular “Organ’s” sphere. For example, there are specific formulae which affect “Liver-Blood” either by nourishing it or by combining its nourishing with some elimination for specific clinical situations.
- Liver-Blood deficiency giving rise to Liver-Yang rising (Bend Bamboo®) or Deficient Liver-Blood not nourishing the eyes (Brighten the Eyes™);
- Deficient Liver-Blood not nourishing the sinews (Brocade Sinews™);
- Liver-Blood deficiency associated with Liver-Qi stagnation (Freeing the Moon®) or Liver-Blood deficiency in chronic skin issues (Glorious Sea™);
- Liver-Blood deficiency leading to insomnia (Root the Spirit and Nourish the Soul™) or Liver-Blood deficiency resulting from radiotherapy (Radio-Support™)
Thus, the clinical application process for the Three Treasures™ formulae is different from that for generic tonic formulae. It relies on the practitioner making a fundamental differentiation between the need to i) tonify only, ii) the need to clear only, or iii) the need to tonify and clear simultaneously. We can represent the different processes that lead to the choice of a formula in this example for Liver-Blood deficiency, illustrated in Figures 1 and 2:
Similarly, Spleen-Qi deficiency hardly ever occurs on its own in chronic conditions as it is more frequently accompanied by Dampness, Damp-Heat or Qi Stagnation. Two more diagrams can illustrate the difference between a generic formula to tonify Spleen-Qi and the various Three Treasures® formulae to tonify Spleen-Qi. See Figures 3 and 4:
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The formulas aforementioned are food supplements. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease. Do not take if nursing or pregnant. Not to replaced a varied diet. References to organs have been capitalised to reflect their symbolic meaning; not to be interpreted in a literal meaning.
Nourishing & Clearing
Calming the Mind
Releasing the Exterior
The following is a list of Three Treasures® formulae without a classical antecedent.